This Week In The News
Did You know?
- The amount Ferrari makes from selling T-shirts, hats, jewelry, and the like is in and around €30-40 million (R609-812 million) per year, less than 1.4% of its total revenue.
- The average car is made up of almost 30 000 parts.
- 75% of all cars produced by Rolls Royce are still on the road
- The highest total mileage clocked by a single car is 2,850,000 million miles (4,560,000 km )
- The worlds first automobile race was In 1895 with A winning speed of 15 mph
- This first cruise control mechanism was called a "Speedostat." Designed by a blind person.
- The car radio was first introduced in 1922 by Chevrolet
- The best-selling car of all time is the Toyota Corolla
- There are about 22.7 kilograms of copper wiring in the average car ( Don’t spread the word )
- 95% of a car's lifetime is spent parked
Bakkie of the Year revealed
South Africa has just concluded its first-ever Bakkie of the Year competition, which was held at the recent Nampo Cape exhibition in Bredasdorp in the Western Cape.
The winners of the three different power categories for the inaugural South African Bakkie of the Year competition were as follows:
100-120kW – GWM P-Series 2.0TD LTD 4×4 AT
121-150kW – Nissan Navara 2.5 DDTI Pro-4X 4×4 AT
151-190kW – VW Amarok PanAmericana 3.0 V6 TDI 4Motion
Automotive Abbreviations and Acronyms
The automotive industry loves automotive abbreviations and acronyms almost as much as the military and teens on social media. Here are some of the lesser known.
- ACC- Adaptive Cruise Control,
- AEB- Adaptive Emergency Braking.
- AEV- All-electric vehicle
- BEV- Battery Electric Vehicle
- CVT- Continuously Variable Transmission.
- EBD- Electronic Brake Distribution.
- LSD- Limited Slip Differential. ( Bet you were wrong on this one )
- PCV- Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
- PHEV- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- SRS- Supplemental Restraint System. ( The airbag system.)
- ULEV- Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle
Yet CAR stands for Corrective Action Request, but MC stands for Motor Car.
There are over 3,000 acronyms covering the automotive industry
IMHO we should get a dictionary. LOL
2023 South African Automotive Consumer Study
What consumer trends and disruptive technologies will have the most impact on the automotive industry in the coming year? For more than a decade, Deloitte has published data and insights in our Global Automotive Consumer
Key takeaways from the 2023 study: